Samsung 840 SATA drive, as it came with a USB cable and bracket hard drive holder.
It actually wasn't that difficult to replace the hard drive in my iMac. Of course I can give no guarantee that this works for you as well. Here are the steps I took:
- Connected the new SSD via USB to my iMac
- Cloned old internal hard drive to new SSD, using Carbon Copy Cloner
- Tested new SSD extensively. Booted the Mac from the new SSD connected externally via USB.
- Followed iFixit guide and replaced hard drive
- Crossed my fingers and switched my iMac on again.
Here are a few pictures of the surgery:
|iMac with glass panel and bezel removed|
|Display and hard drive removed|
|New SSD and old HDD|
|Screen shot of the new system preferences|