Simple user interface in R to get login details

1 comment
Occasionally I have to connect to services from R that ask for login details, such as databases. I don't like to store my login details in the R source code file, instead I would prefer to enter the my login details when I execute the code.


Fortunately, I found some old code in a post by Barry Rowlingson that does just that. It uses the tcltk package in R to create a little window in which the user can enter her details, without showing the password. The tcltk package is part of base R, which means the code will run on any operating system. Nice!



Session Info

R version 3.1.1 (2014-07-10)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] tcltk stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

1 comment :

Jenny said...

This is excellent! I have had the same concerns, but only recently began to search for a solution. Thanks to you and Barry.

Post a Comment